Health and Safety Lessons from Other Public Health Professions – ASSP / AIHA September 2018 Meeting
- September 2018 GC Meeting
September 6, 2018
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Speaker: Robert “Safety Bob” Emery
Topic: Health & Safety Lessons from Other Public Health Professions: Techniques and discoveries we may be missing that could help us protect workers
Few practicing health & safety (H&S) professionals routinely identify themselves as part of the “public health workforce” but H&S is actually a subset of a very diverse professional community that collectively exists to prevent illness, injury, or death within populations. If H&S professionals would only pause to consider the techniques and discoveries derived from other public health fields, lessons could be gleaned that could help us better manage risks. This presentation is specifically intended to get H&S professionals “out of their box” by providing an overview of the broader field of public health from a historical perspective and then an examination of three examples from public health endeavors that hold potentially powerful lessons for the H&S profession. The presentation will also expose individuals to other possible career tracks within the broader field of public health. Ample time will be allotted for questions and discussion.
- Define “public health” and instill an understanding of its importance to the origins of the health & safety professions
- Discuss examples of advances in various public health disciplines that can assist the health & safety professions in achieving stated goals
- Instill an awareness of the professional growth opportunities in the field and highlight key references
Dr. Robert Emery is Vice President for Safety, Health, Environment & Risk Management for The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and Professor of Occupational Health at the University of Texas School of Public Health. Bob has over 30 years of experience in health & safety and possesses master’s degrees in health physics and environmental sciences, and a doctorate in occupational health. Bob holds the unique distinction of holding national board certification in seven main areas of health & safety;
- health physics [Certified Health Physicist, CHP],
- occupational safety [Certified Safety Professional, CSP],
- biological safety [Certified Biological Safety Professional, CBSP],
- industrial hygiene [Certified Industrial Hygienist, CIH],
- hazardous materials management [Certified Hazardous Materials Manager, CHMM],
- security management [Certified Protection Professional, CPP]
- and risk management [Associate in Risk Management, ARM].
While managing a comprehensive safety program, Bob has authored over 70 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles and book chapters on health and safety issues and has provided media interviews to major media outlets such as the Wall Street Journal, LA Times, NY Times, ABC, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, BBC, and NPR. He is a frequent presenter at the local, state, national and international level.
Register before September 6th to save $5!
- 11:00 AM – Sign In/Networking/Lunch Served
- 11:30 AM – Announcements / Lunch Served
- 12:00 PM – Start Presentation
- 1:00 PM – End Presentation