The Manager of Compliance & EHS reports to the COO and is responsible for all matters pertaining to regulatory compliance, environmental, health and safety. As the Manager of Compliance & EHS, you will lead and develop safety and environmental programs, develop, and drive a safety and environmental conscious culture, and assure the company is complying through the appropriate adherence to EHS regulations and EHS Standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with company leadership, the company EH&S team, supervisors, and operators to develop and implement a company strategy for improving and sustaining EH&S regulatory compliance and risk.
- Maintain and regularly review company EH&S data, performance metrics to understand and improve company performance.
- Monitor EH&S regulatory developments to understand applicability, as well as lead implementation and compliance assurance processes.
- Provide leadership support for effective implementation of EHS&S standards and programs at the company level.
- Communicate EH&S progress, performance, and key improvement opportunities.
- Drive operational accountability to foster a culture of EH&S risk awareness and control.
Regulatory Compliance and Standards Implementation
- Lead company implementation and continuous improvement of company EH&S standards.
- Lead company regulatory compliance effort associated with all applicable EH&S disciplines.
- Lead and participate in the company implementation and compliance efforts for the OSHA 1910.119 Process Safety Management.
- Coordinate and regularly review the company EHS&S strategic effort to drive performance improvement.
Auditing and Management Systems
- Coordinate the effective planning and execution of assessments for EHS&S regulatory compliance and internal EHS&S standards at the company level.
- Develop resolution of audit recommendations through partnership with site EH&S and other support functions.
- Provide support for implementing and sustaining EH&S management systems.
Leadership and Capability Building
- Conduct regular ES&S performance reviews with company leadership and supervision and prioritize key focus areas and efforts to determine and achieve company EH&S goals and objectives.
- Perform independently and exercise mature judgment in determining regulatory, technical, and operational objectives for assignments/projects derived from key company EH&S aspects.
- Develop functional EH&S capability within the company organization through training, coaching, and mentoring.
- Oversees training for hourly production workforce. (Includes record keeping and auditing).
- Practical experience required for the following EHS&S disciplines
- Environmental – Multimedia environmental compliance (air, water, waste) and relevant federal (EPA), state and location regulations.
- Occupational Safety & Health – Occupational safety (OSHA), industrial hygiene, ergonomics, general occupational health management
- Process Safety Management – OSHA Process Safety Management Standard (29 CFR 1910.119).
- Project management and leadership skills – Ability to prioritize, balance and manage multiple tasks simultaneously across multiple companies, adjust to changing priorities and make decisions with speed and accuracy based on available information.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player with ability to effectively influence others to action.
- Ability to travel to sites outside of the company Headquarters to other company locations, training, auditing, etc.
- Ability to collaborate, communicate effectively across mediums, audiences, and situations.
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity including the ability to work on confidential matters.
- Able to identify critical path issues; trend data and advise relative to key improvement areas for EHS&S performance and compliance.
- Ability to effectively influence at all levels of the organization (up, down, laterally).
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
- Educational discipline in Occupational Health & Safety or related technical field required.
- 10+ years EHS&S experience in the manufacturing environment.
- EHS Professional Certifications desirable; CSP, CIH, CHMM, PE